Above and Beyond: Missouri River Flooding, 2011
NASA Landsat satellite imagery was obtained in 2011 of flooding along the Missouri River near Hamburg, Iowa.
Floods: Video Segments
Produced by the Space Telescope Science Institute’s Office of Public Outreach in collaboration with the NASA Earth Observatory.
All images, illustrations, and videos courtesy of NASA except:
· Illustration of northwestern U.S. based on illustration from NOVA/WGBH “Mystery of the Megaflood” website
· Glacial Lake Missoula painting courtesy of Byron Pickering
· Dry Falls photo ©2004 Teri J. Pieper, www.byways.org
· Palouse Hills photo courtesy of Lynn Suckow
· Sea creature illustration copyright The National Library of Israel, Shapell Family Digitization Project _and The Hebrew University of Jerusalem, Department of Geography – Historic Cities Research Project
· Photos of Mississippi River with debris courtesy of Thomas R. Machnitzki
· Video of clouds over eastern U.S. courtesy of National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration
· Snow-to-rain animation by Marc Lussier, STScI
· Satellite images of flooding in Birds Point–New Madrid Floodway courtesy of MODIS Today,
· Space Science and Engineering Center, University of Wisconsin-Madison
· Morganza Spillway video and photos courtesy of the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers
· Photo of Mississippi River sediment plume entering Gulf of Mexico courtesy of Nancy Rabalais/Louisiana Universities Marine Consortium
· Algae bloom photo courtesy of National Ocean Service/NOAA
· Photo of fish kill on Grand Isle, Louisiana, courtesy of Kerry St. Pé
· Mississippi River dead zone animation courtesy of National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration
· Photo of flooded farm near Vicksburg, Mississippi, courtesy of the National Weather Service
· Map of Mississippi River course changes courtesy of the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers
Music courtesy of Associated Production Music
Written by Andrea Gianopoulos
Designed by Marc Lussier
An aerial view of Missouri River flooding near Hamburg Iowa in natural color.
Text, in mid-June 2011, the Missouri River spilled over its banks along the Nebraska-Iowa border, not far from Hamburg, Iowa.
On June 14, the Landsat 5 satellite captured natural- and representative-color images of the flood.
The aerial view in false color. Water covers the area between the Missouri River and Hamburg. Text, water is navy blue and clouds are white in this representative-color image.
The flooding here lingered for weeks.