To run ViewSpace.org properly, make sure you have all of the following:
- Computer monitor or Smart TV
- The latest Google Chrome browser (https://www.google.com/chrome/index.html)
- Persistent internet access that supports streaming video
Note to former Scala users: The system requirements for ViewSpace.org are similar to those of the Scala version. The system you use for the Scala-based version of ViewSpace should work. Please contact us at email@example.com if this is not the case.
The only major change in guidelines since the last version, published on 2/28/2018, is the adjustment of screenshots to reflect the new look of ViewSpace.
Support and Communication
If you have trouble following anything in this document or do not find the answers to your questions in this document, or if you have any feedback, contact us directly at: firstname.lastname@example.org
Installing and Running ViewSpace.orgClick here for a pdf version of the information on this page.
In order to register for ViewSpace, you will need to be invited into the system. The invitation will arrive in the form of an e-mail from ViewSpace Support (email@example.com).
- If you are expecting the e-mail but have not received it, check your junk or quarantined e-mail.
- If you have not been sent an invitation but would like one, contact ViewSpace Support (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- If Scala is running, you will need to exit from it.
- Make sure the operating system of the computer you plan to use is up to date.
- If you don’t already have it, install the latest version of Google Chrome (www.google.com/chrome/index.html).
- Make sure your system is in a location where you will be comfortable working on it.
- Make sure you have reliable internet access.
- Access your e-mail invitation from ViewSpace Support.
Using Chrome, open the Accept Invitation* link in the e-mail from ViewSpace Support. (If Chrome is your default browser, you can just click on the link. If not, copy the link into Chrome.) This will take you to the Account Setup page.
Register by creating a password of your choice.
Note that the e-mail shown is the e-mail that your invitation was sent to. If you want to register under a different e-mail, please contact email@example.com
Complete your User Profile. Note that if not all required fields are completed, you will be prompted to fill them in.
Don’t forget to read and accept the terms and conditions.
- Once you have submitted the form, your name should appear at the top of the screen. You are now free to use ViewSpace with your new username and password.
Once you have registered, you may access ViewSpace via the internet from anywhere.
- Navigate to https://www.viewspace.org.
- Enter your username and password
- Choose from one of three playlists:
- The ViewSpace Collection plays all Earth and Space shows
- The Space Collection plays shows focused on the Solar System, galaxy, and universe beyond Earth
- The Earth Collection plays shows focused on Earth
Once you have signed up and opened ViewSpace, you have some control over the video while it is playing.
|Pause/Play||Left click on your mouse|
|Skip to next video||Right arrow|
|Toggle between full screen and windowed view||f|
|Toggle mute on and off||m|
|Got to the Home page||esc|
|Exit full screen (when in Kiosk Mode, using Chrome)||Alt-F4 (Windows), Esc (Mac)|
You can set up ViewSpace to play automatically after restarting the computer, without logging in. This allows you to run ViewSpace as seamlessly as possible, without training many additional staff.
A. Setting up Google Chrome to start automatically
Change your settings so that Google Chrome will start up automatically after the computer is rebooted. (You may need to get assistance from your IT specialist.) We have not included instructions here because the procedure differs from system to system. NOTE: It is ok to skip this step altogether, or skip it for now and complete it later. If you do not perform this step, ViewSpace will still work, but you will need to restart Chrome every time the computer is restarted.
B. Creating a Kiosk Persona
Using a Kiosk Persona allows you to display ViewSpace without revealing any personal or institutional data.
- Open Google Chrome and go to Settings
Click on Manage other people and Add person.
In the Manage other people box,
- Choose an avatar.
- Give the new user a name.
- Click Create a desktop shortcut for the user.
- Click Add.
Preparing to retrieve your Autoplay URL
- Log in to ViewSpace.org (https://viewspace.org) with your username and password.
- Go to your User Profile by clicking on your name (usually in the top right corner) or going to https://viewspace.org/profile.
- Scroll down to the bottom of the profile page. Here you will find your Auto-login URLs.
Copy the Auto-login URL of the collection that you want (ViewSpace, Space, or Earth).
(Note that this URL includes your authentication token and is unique to you.)
- Keep the window open for easy access in the next step.
Setting up your Kiosk Persona to play ViewSpace automatically
Right click on the Shortcut for your new Kiosk Persona, which should be on your desktop (not on the taskbar link) and select Properties.
In the Shortcut menu,
- Add “ -kiosk” (space hyphen kiosk, without the quotation marks) to the end of the Target text.
Then add the playlist Auto-login URL that you copied from your profile page (see previous step): “[playlist name]” (space space playlist name, without the quotation marks) after “kiosk”.
Click on the Shortcut to your Kiosk Persona to test it. If the settings are correct, your preferred playlist should now open in the Kiosk Persona user account in full-screen mode.
On the first launch, you may need to sign in. To avoid having to enter your username and password each time, choose Save when prompted to save your password.
- Note that this will not open in full screen if you already have Chrome open. But once you close your other Chrome windows and reopen, it should.
To exit the full screen, press Alt-F4 (Windows) or Control + Command F (Mac)Note that this setup is not truly secure: A simple Alt-F4 will exit the app and give your guest access to your entire computer.
On the user profile page, set Sound with auto-login to yes and click on Update Sound.
You’ll get a pop up reminder to view the Setup Guide. Click OK.
Open up a new tab in Chrome and navigate to the following address: chrome://flags/#autoplay-policy.You should see the following page. (Note that this address is valid only in Chrome.)
Change the autoplay policy from Default to No user gesture is required.
Click the RELAUNCH NOW button to apply the changes.
Test the new setup by clicking on the shortcut you created earlier to start ViewSpace in kiosk mode.If ViewSpace starts with sound, success! If not, please review these steps