ViewSpace Collection vs. ViewSpace Library
This guide explains how to set up ViewSpace to play the ViewSpace Collection of videos automatically on a monitor in a museum, science center, library, or other informal education venue.
- If you wish to view a single video on a particular topic, use the top navigation to go to Videos → Video Library (https://viewspace.org/video_library).
- If you want to use the ViewSpace interactives, go to Interactives → Unveiling the Invisible Universe (https://viewspace.org/interactives/unveiling_invisible_universe/).
- If you want to set up a monitor to play a preset Earth, Space, or Earth and Space collection for your visitors, continue reading ...
Exhibit System Requirements
To display the ViewSpace Collection properly, make sure you have all of the following:
- Digital display (e.g., computer monitor)
- A modern web browser (e.g., Chrome, Firefox, Safari)
- Note that Chrome is best suited to support Kiosk mode (see Section F in Exhibit Setup Guide for more information)
- Persistent internet access that supports streaming video
Support and Communication
If you have trouble following anything in this document, do not find the answers to your questions, or have any feedback, contact us directly at: email@example.com.
Installing ViewSpace.org to Display the ViewSpace Collection
In order to register for the ViewSpace Collection, you will need to be invited into the system. The invitation will arrive in the form of an e-mail from ViewSpace Support (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- If you are expecting the e-mail but have not received it, check your junk or quarantined e-mail.
- If you have not been sent an invitation but would like one, contact ViewSpace Support (email@example.com).
- Make sure the operating system of the computer you plan to use is up to date.
- Make sure your system is in a location where you will be comfortable working on it.
- Make sure you have reliable internet access.
- Access your e-mail invitation from ViewSpace Support.
- Open the Accept Invitation link in the e-mail from ViewSpace Support. This will take you to the Account Setup page.
- Register by creating a password of your choice. Note that the e-mail shown is the e-mail that your invitation was sent to. If you want to register under a different e-mail, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
- Complete your User Profile. Note that if not all required fields are completed, you will be prompted to fill them in. Don’t forget to read and accept the terms and conditions.
- Once you have submitted the form, your name should appear at the top of the screen. You are now able to login and use the ViewSpace Collection with your new username and password.
Once you have registered, you may access ViewSpace via the internet from anywhere.
- Navigate to https://viewspace.org.
- Enter your username and password.
- Choose from one of three playlists:
- The ViewSpace Collection plays all Earth and space shows
- The Space Collection plays shows focused on the Solar System, galaxy, and universe beyond Earth
- The Earth Collection plays shows focused on Earth
Once you have signed up and opened ViewSpace, you have some control over the video while it is playing.
|Pause/Play||Left click on your mouse|
|Skip to next video||Right arrow|
|Toggle between full screen and windowed view||f|
|Toggle mute on and off||m|
To view specific videos, exit the kiosk mode and go to the Video Library. In the future, we will provide functionality to enable users to create custom playlists for kiosk mode.
You can set up ViewSpace to play automatically after restarting the computer, without logging in. This allows you to run ViewSpace as seamlessly as possible, without training many additional staff. The following instructions describe how to do this using Google Chrome.
Set Google Chrome to start automatically.
Change your settings so that Google Chrome will start up automatically after the computer is rebooted. You may need to get assistance from your IT department. We have not included instructions here because the procedure differs from system to system.
NOTE: It is ok to skip this step altogether, or skip it for now and complete it later. If you do not perform this step, ViewSpace will still work, but you will need to restart Chrome every time the computer is restarted.
Create a Kiosk Persona.
Using a Kiosk Persona allows you to display ViewSpace without revealing any personal or institutional data.
Open Google Chrome and click on your Profile icon at the top right and pull down to Manage people.
Click on Add person.
In the Add person box,
- Choose an avatar.
- Give the new user a name.
- Click Create a desktop shortcut for the user.
- Click Add.
This should add a shortcut with the new user name to your desktop.
Prepare your Autoplay URL.
Log in to ViewSpace.org (https://viewspace.org) with your username and password.
Go to your User Profile by clicking on your name (usually in the top right corner) or going to https://viewspace.org/profile.
Scroll down to the bottom of the profile page. Here you will find your Auto-login URLs.
Copy the Auto-login URL of the collection that you want (ViewSpace, Space, or Earth). Note that this URL includes your authentication token and is unique to you.
Keep the window open for easy access in the next step.
Set up your Kiosk Persona to play ViewSpace automatically.
Right-click on the Shortcut for your new Kiosk Persona, which should be on your desktop (not on the taskbar link) and select Properties.
In the Shortcut menu,
- Select Target.
- Add “ --kiosk” (space hyphen hyphen kiosk, without the quotation marks) to the end of the Target text.
- Then add the playlist Auto-login URL that you copied from your profile page (see previous step): “** [playlist name]**” (space space playlist name, without the quotation marks) after “kiosk”.
- Click Apply.
Click on the Shortcut to your Kiosk Persona to test it. If the settings are correct, your preferred playlist should now open in the Kiosk Persona user account in full-screen mode.
- On the first launch, you may need to sign in. To avoid having to enter your username and password each time, choose Save when prompted to save your password.
- Note that this will not open in full-screen if you already have Chrome open. Once you close your other Chrome windows and reopen, it should open full-screen.
Note that this setup is not truly secure: Exiting the app (Alt-F4) will give your guest access to your entire computer.
Note: Instructions were revised on 10/14/2019 to account for recent changes to Chrome.
Every ViewSpace video is produced with background music. However, a recent update of Google Chrome prevents advertisements with sound from playing automatically. Because this functionality affects all videos, including those on ViewSpace, the default for ViewSpace auto-play is now set for no sound.
To enable the sound during auto-play:
- On the user profile page, set Sound with auto-login to yes and click on Update Sound.
- You’ll get a pop up reminder to view the Setup Guide. Click OK.
- In your Chrome Browser, go to Settings.
- Click on Advanced to expand more options, and click on Privacy and Security.
- Select Site Settings.
- Click on the Sound option.
- Toggle Allow sites to play sound to the On position.
- Add Viewspace.org as one of the allowed websites.
- Test the new setup by clicking on the shortcut you created earlier to start ViewSpace in kiosk mode. If ViewSpace starts with sound, success! If not, please review these steps.