Above and Beyond: Atafu Atoll
This video shows the beautiful ring-shaped Atafu Atoll, which formed as coral reefs build up around a now-submerged volcano.
Coral Reef: Video Segments
Terrestrial Tour: Coral Reefs at Risk
Above and Beyond: The Maldives
Above and Beyond: Coral Reefs in New Caledonia
Insight Into: Coral Reefs
Above and Beyond: Madagascar’s Coral Reefs
Myth vs Reality: Coral Reef Climates
Above and Beyond: Atafu Atoll
Myth vs Reality: What Corals Are
At a Glance: Coral Reefs
Produced by the Space Telescope Science Institute’s Office of Public Outreach in collaboration with the NASA Earth Observatory.
All images, illustrations, and videos courtesy of NASA except:
· Great Barrier Reef underwater video footage courtesy of Andy Green at greenwaterproductions.net
· Photo of reef fishers courtesy of Rebecca Weeks/Marine Photobank
· Sea creature illustration copyright The National Library of Israel, Shapell Family Digitization Project _and The Hebrew University of Jerusalem, Department of Geography – Historic Cities Research Project
· Photo of fish at a coral reef courtesy of Linda Wade/NOAA
· Photo of a dead reef in American Samoa copyright Wolcott Henry 2005/Marine Photobank
· Photo of a bleached reef courtesy of Armando Jenik 2009/Marine Photobank
· Staghorn coral photo courtesy of William Harrigan/Florida Keys National Marine Sanctuary/NOAA
· Photo of coral in Perhentian Islands, Malaysia, courtesy of Nazir Amin
· Mediterranean red coral photo courtesy of Lorenzo Bramanti/Marine Photobank
· Gorgonian coral photo courtesy of Mohammed Al Momany/NOAA
· Acropora table coral photo copyright Pete Faulkner, Mission:awareness/Marine Photobank
· Sewage pipe photo courtesy of Steve Spring/Marine Photobank
· Photo of coral with black band disease courtesy of Sven Zea, Universidad Nacional de Colombia/Marine Photobank
· Blast-fishing photo courtesy of Benjamin De Ridder/Marine Photobank
· Photo of coral with yellow band disease courtesy of Craig Quirolo, Reef Relief/Marine Photobank
· Before-and-after photos of bleached coral courtesy of Craig Quirolo, Reef Relief/Marine Photobank
· Photo of bleached coral in the Galapagos Islands courtesy of David Jacobsen-Fried/Marine Photobank
· Photo of dead coral reef in Taiwan courtesy of Konstantin Tkachenko/Marine Photobank
· Bleached coral video footage courtesy of National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA)
· Thermometer and coral reef illustrations: Marc Lussier, STScI
Written by Vanessa Thomas
Designed by Marc Lussier
Music courtesy of Associated Production Music
Atafu Atoll, Tokelau Islands, South Pacific Ocean. Only about 5 miles wide, Atafu Atoll is the smallest member of the Tokelau Islands group in the South Pacific.
The ring shaped atoll formed as coral reefs build up around a now-submerged volcano. Vegetation grows where exposed portions of the reef of weathered to form soil.
A small village inhabits one corner of the atoll.
A red circle around the corner at the lower left.
Submerged coral reefs lighten the water of the lagoon.