Back to Results
Celestial Tour: Coronagraph
Shadows: Video Segments
Produced by the Space Telescope Science Institute, Office of Public Outreach, in collaboration with NASA’s Universe of Learning partners: IPAC, Jet Propulsion Laboratory, Smithsonian Astrophysical Observatory, and Sonoma State University.
Images and Animations:
- 2017 total solar eclipse from Whiskey Mountain, Wyoming: Miloslav Druckmüller, Jana Hoderová, Peter Štarha, and Shadia Habbal
- Bernard Lyot at Pic du Midi: l'Observatoire de Paris
- Sun eclipsed by Lyot’s coronagraph: The Science Museum (UK)
- Solar prominence viewed using Lyot’s coronagraph: l'Observatoire de Paris
- Sunlight blocked by a coronagraph: STScI
- Comet NEAT imaged by the Solar and Heliospheric Observatory (SOHO): NASA, ESA, SOHO
- HD 61005 star system imaged by the Hubble Space Telescope: NASA, D. Hines (Space Science Institute, New Mexico Office in Corrales, New Mexico), and G. Schneider (University of Arizona)
- HD 139664 star system imaged by the Hubble Space Telescope: NASA, ESA, and P. Kalas (University of California, Berkeley)
- AU Microscopii star system imaged by the Hubble Space Telescope: NASA, ESA, J. R. Graham and P. Kalas (University of California, Berkeley), and B. Matthews (Hertzberg Institute of Astrophysics)
- Coronagraph revealing an exoplanet: Walt Feimer, Scott Wiessinger, Neil Gehrels, NASA's Goddard Space Flight Center Conceptual Image Lab
- Exoplanet orbiting HR 8799: Jason Wang (UC Berkeley) and Christian Marois (NRC Herzberg)
- Exoplanets, artists’ conceptions: NASA, STScI
Writing: Margaret W. Carruthers
Design: Dani Player
Science review lead: Dr. Brandon Lawton
Education lead: Timothy Rhue II
Additional editorial input from: Dr. Lynn Cominsky, Sonoma State University; Dr. Sabrina Stierwalr, IPAC/Caltech; Dr. Tiffany Meshkat, IPAC/Caltech.
Music courtesy of Associated Production Music
All narration is presented in text form within the video. In addition, a full transcript will be available in the Library in the near future. Check back soon!